The ENGLISH+ program consists of three components that work together to build success at BCA: academic, care, and travel. International/ESL students are enrolled in all three programs, though each may be tailored to your individual needs.
ENGLISH+ prepares you to excel academically by readying you to learn in a setting that is Western in style and immersed in English.
The Academic Plan includes:
- Modified English classes
- ESL course preparation
- Private tutoring
- Student Study Centre
- IELTS & TOEFL exam preparation
- Students who work hard and make significant progress in their ESL courses may, at the professional discretion of the course instructor, be able to advance more quickly through the ESL program
- Students who find language acquisition more challenging may be required to deepen their study of ESL through additional relevant coursework
- ESL students may not realistically be able to progress as quickly as native English speakers through the courses required for graduation and may need additional semesters at BCA in order to obtain their Saskatchewan Learning Grade 12 Diploma
Studying in a foreign country involves new challenges and may be especially difficult if you are far from family. BCA provides personal, cultural and spiritual care to support international students in this context.
The Care Plan includes:
- Orientation to BCA and Canadian culture
- Airport pick-ups and drop-offs
- Assistance with making arrangements for family accommodation, as needed
- Immigration support
- Local shopping and errands
- Post-secondary application guidance and preparation
- Coordinating social events including movies, games, cooking events, and cultural celebrations
- Communication with parents regarding academic, emotional, personal and spiritual well-being
- Connecting students to additional supports, as needed
Being part of the ENGLISH+ program means you get to travel across Canada taking part in local and regional fieldtrips. Trips and events are planned locally every month, and students go on longer, overnight trips once per semester.
These trips are full of fun and learning, often including shopping, meals, and sight-seeing. The trips and events change each year and according to the group’s interests. Some past trips have included:
- Corn Maze
- Laser Tag
- Moose Jaw Tunnels
- Saskatchewan Science Centre
- 5 pin bowling
- Escape rooms
- Picnics in the park
- Gym nights
- Virtual reality rooms
In addition to the above trips, optional trips are offered during the February and Easter extended school breaks. These trips are not included in the ENGLISH+ Program cost and are offered if there is sufficient student interest. Prices and trip destinations are adjusted and communicated on a yearly basis.