Director of Development
The Director of Development works to develop and execute the development strategy for Briercrest College and Seminary. The Director of Development is responsible to initiate plans, strategies and activity for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of donors and prospective donors and to take lead in the major gift strategy, to promote the mission and vision of the organization, and to build a strong foundation of committed long-term donor support.
- Agreement to live within the Briercrest Institutional Covenant and align with the mission, vision, and values of Briercrest College and Seminary
- Post-secondary training in a related discipline preferred
- Previous relevant work experience preferred
- Able to lead at a senior level of the organization, able to influence culture and behavior within the Fund Development Division and across the organization, a strategic thinker with the ability to design processes to achieve outcomes.
- Familiar with the Christian College Movement and have experience in development and/or public relations, with proven success in major gifts and campaign fund-raising.
- Able to direct best practices for development, including research and prospecting, case development, donor recognition and stewardship, strategies for annual campaigns, major gifts, and planned giving
- Strong inter-personal skills and demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and develop new relationships, and to effectively solicit major gifts
- Highly self-motivated, with a proven ability to lead and develop a results-oriented team
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills
DESIRED OUTCOMES AND ACTIVITIES
- Develop and execute an annual development plan and multi-year strategy aligned with the institutional strategic plan, including annual campaigns, major gift campaigns, and relevant capital campaigns.
- Build, train, and coach a team of staff who will strategically execute the annual development plan based on the establishment of individual and team performance objectives.
- Establish and maintain donor relationships through planned strategies and structured travel days (TBD), with unique attention to the cultivation and nurture of relationships with current and potential major gift donors. The Director of Development will carry specific donor contacts (TBD), will concentrate on relationships with the capacity to support Briercrest at a major donor level.
- Give strategic direction to the fundraising efforts of all departments (e.g., Athletics) and to the Coordinated Decentralized model of Development that involves staff and faculty across the institution.
- Cultivate a climate that advocates for the value of Christian Education (high school, college, and seminary). Listen to constituent feedback, correct misinformation, and build confidence in the outworking of the Briercrest mission.
- Ensure a planned giving strategy is in place (with the Planned Giving Consultant) and managed effectively for maximum results.
- Ensure effective strategy for grants and foundation funding is developed and implemented
- Ensure the preparation of fund development tools and media including, thank you letters, appeal letters, fund development website, brochures, and annual reports.
- Ensure the support and nurture of the USA Foundation.
- Continued spiritual, personal, and professional development.
- Consult, give direction and support the development efforts of the President
- Prepare and effectively manage the Development budget.
- Ensure effective database and record management; this includes an effective research strategy is in place and managed effectively for maximum results.
- The Director of Development reports directly to the President and works closely with the Office of the President
- This role leads the Senior Development Officers and the Gift Planning Consultant, gives leadership to the administration staff, and collaborates with the Executive Assistant.
- Collaborates with selected faculty members assigned to carry specific donor contacts and with the various departments to achieve the desired outcomes.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé/CV, names of three references and any specified documents by email to the Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
All employees of Briercrest College and Seminary are required to sign and adhere to our Institutional Covenant. Please review the covenant prior to submitting your application