Academic Resource Centre Coordinator
The Academic Resource Centre (ARC) provides personalized guidance and support to help all students enter into and fully participate in the Briercrest community of learning. We work in collaboration with other departments to equip and empower students to work toward their academic, vocational, ministry, and life goals through diverse learning opportunities.
Note: This is an eight month term position
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Agreement to live within the Briercrest Institutional Covenant and align with the mission, vision, and values of Briercrest College and Seminary
- Completed a Bachelor’s degree or diploma, from a recognized institution (preferred fields of study include Educational Psychology, Special Education, disability/accessibility support services, Psychology, Education, or related field of study).
- Competently utilizes relevant software tools (i.e., MS Office).
- Committed to seeking ways to improve supports for student success and encourage learning and growth.
- Enjoys working with students as well as performing administrative tasks, possessing strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrates awareness and attentiveness to care for students with, but not limited to, ADD/ADHD, learning disabilities, mild-to-moderate intellectual disabilities, on the Autism spectrum. Prior experience an asset.
- Familiar with psycho-educational assessments, academic accommodations, and/or assistive technology, or a strong willingness to learn.
- Able to initiate and complete projects autonomously, and willing to initiate and pursue ongoing professional development and student success initiatives.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DESIRED OUTCOMES
The ARC Coordinator will provide leadership for Academic Resource Centre programs—planning, implementing, evaluating, and strengthening the following student services:
Disabilities/Diverse Abilities Support
- Provided resources to care teams with information of available services and of relevant processes (e.g., Admissions, Student Development, Faculty)
- Point of contact for students and parents (includes phone calls, email communication, campus tours/visits)
- Inform students of available services and supports, and of accommodations process
- Facilitate campus awareness and understanding of needs and helpful practices for supporting students with diverse abilities/disabilities.
- Pursue active learning of legal requirements, current literature, and practice, etc.
- Communicate with students and faculty in arranging midterm and final exam accommodations
- Coordinate with faculty administrative assistant and the Academic Services office in arranging final exams for students requiring academic accommodations
- Ensure exam rooms/space and proctor(s) are set up.
Academic Coaching and Tutoring Program
- Recruit and hire Academic Coaches and Tutors
- Lead Academic Coach Training/Meetings and Tutor training and support
- Track and submit student fees
- Review and approve coaching hours
- Evaluate programming and make appropriate adjustments to strengthen effectiveness of service
- Organize academic coaching pairs/groups; connect tutors and students
- Collaborate with faculty concerning early alerts, supplementary academic skill development support (e.g., study groups), etc.
- Tailor student success plan and supports based on the needs of students
- Assist students with their questions and concerns (e.g., emails, drop-in visits)
- Maintain a supportive and peaceful environment in the Academic Resource Centre
- Gather feedback, prepare year-end reports and recommendations
- Prepare promotional material as needed
- Review and maintain the Academic Resource Centre website content
- Periodically assist with projects as assigned by the Registrar’s Office
- May assist with Academic Services communication to students (e.g., posters, newsletters)
- The ARC Coordinator reports to the Registrar.
- Supervises the Academic Resource Centre team (Academic Coaches, tutors)
- Collaborates with on-campus student care teams as needed
To apply, please email a cover letter, résumé/CV, names of three references to the Human Resources office at email@example.com.
All employees of Briercrest College and Seminary are required to sign and adhere to our Institutional Covenant. Please review the covenant prior to submitting your application